Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Looking Back

One year ago today, I began work at an Interior Design firm in Austin, Texas. I never imagined then how drastically my life would change between then and now. For those of you who don't know, I was hired as a design assistant at Mohon-Imber Interiors in Austin. At the time I was thrilled, sure that my life was finally "coming together" and soon I would be happy, satisfied, and fulfilled with this work that I had been educated for. After some weeks at the job, however, a growing unrest began in me. In the begining, I thought it was only because the work was challenging and I had not adjusted yet. But over time I felt a pull away from the field of design and began praying for God's will in the situation. I have found that many times God helps us to discern His will by slamming doors in our face. About five months after being hired I found myself in conference with my boss, listening to his statement "I don't think this situation is working for either of us". At the time I was confused and completely at a loss for what to do concerning my future. But God is always faithful and three months later I was on a plane headed to Mexico! Looking back, it is so awesome to see how God directs our steps and leads us to places that we never would have guessed. I am incredibly thankful to God for closing that door and leading me to where I am now.
There have been many changes since I last updated my blog, the biggest one being that I am now working as the monitor in the highschool classroom. For those of you not familier with the ACE system, my responsibilities include (but are not limited to) recording student attendence, recording the completion of goals, tests, homework, filing tests, keeping order in the classroom, giving demerits (YES fellow BJU grads, I have to give demerits - it's not fun and I have a new respect for those with that responsibility!) giving detentions, listening to Bible memory, etc. It's very different from what I was doing before and I am still trying to learn the system, so please keep me in your prayers!
The weather here has been amazing, cool in the mornings and warm in the afternoons, with occasional rainfall some evenings. There are two volcanoes within site of Cuautla and right now they are topped with an incredible blanket of snow. They are beautiful in the clear mornings here and at evening when the rays of the setting sun reflects off of them - a constant reminder of God's beautiful creation.
Please continue to pray for me as I continue to learn the language and as I strive to grow in my love for God, His word, and His people!

No comments:

Post a Comment